The WordPress standard template tags for inserting snippets of html/php, such as get_header, get_footer, get_sidebar etc reside in the file wp-includes/general_template.php. They are incredibly simple functions, with the names (âheaderâ, âfooterââ¦) hardcoded within the functions. Also if you pass in a string as a parameter then that is appended to the name separated by a â-â, and both the extended name and search for both:
Full List of Tags
Full list of template tags provided with WordPress can be found at
From my perspective the tags fall into three categories:
- Retrieval of data from the wp database
- Provision of standard functionality
- Insertion of HTML/PHP, usually, but not necessarily with some form of Dynamic content.
Those that are concerned with data retrieval fall into two categories:
- Those retrieving data concerning the current post or page. These Template Tags have to reside within the WordPress data retrieval loop.
- None Post/Page related data, such as Site URL, User, Logged-in status, List of Posts, Pages, Categories etc.